In vitro fertilization (IVF) literally means ‘fertilization in glasses’. You may have also heard the term ‘test tube babies’ but these days the procedure involves placing an egg and sperm together in a plastic dish to fertilize, rather than in a test tube. IVF refers to a technique of assisted reproduction where the egg and sperm are fertilized outside of the body to form an embryo. This embryo is then transferred to the uterus to implant and become a pregnancy.
IVF and Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) are likely method of fertility treatments. The only difference between the two is the way the egg is fertilized. IVF allows the sperm to penetrate the egg of its own accord whereas ICSI directly inserts the sperm into the egg. This is done under a microscope by qualified embryologists. If the egg is fertilized, the embryo is inserted into the uterus in the same way as for IVF. Step of ICSI
1. Have consultation with Siam Fertility. Doctor will examine and diagnose the cause of infertility by the blood test and scan.
2. When the plan is set, doctor will make the schedule of treatment, ovarian stimulation plan which usually take time for 10-14 days
3. Egg retrieval is arranged prior to expect the ovulation. Egg retrieval is usually performed 36 to 48 hours after the administration of the ovulation inducing drugs hCG or LH.
4. Sperm Collection can be processed on the egg retrieval date or in advance by sperm freezing method.
5. If undergoing IVF, the sperm are then placed with the eggs in an incubator set to the same temperature as a woman’s body. If undergoing ICSI, the eggs are prepared for injection and their maturity confirmed. In what is a delicate laboratory procedure, a single sperm is placed directly into the cytoplasm (the center) of the egg. The embryologist will culture the embryo to the blastocyst stage (about 5-6 Days).
6. Type of embryo transfer will be determined by the physician, Fresh Embryo Transfer or Frozen Embryo Transfer. Embryo transfer can be performed without anesthesia. The study shows that Frozen Embryo Transfer(FET) could increase the success rate.
7. 10 days after embryo transfer, the patients can check pregnancy test by blood testing at Siam Fertility Clinic.The pregnancy report could be performed within 1-2 hours.
Nowadays, Frozen Embryo Transfer or FET is suggested for IVF/ICSI treatment as providing more pregnancy rate than FRESH embryo transfer.
Hysteroscopy is a procedure that allows a doctor to look inside the uterus in order to diagnose and treat causes of abnormal bleeding. The procedure can be either diagnostic or operative.
In the field of IVF, one of the biggest challenges is to select the embryo most likely to result in the birth of a healthy baby.